12 August 2008

First Seattle Art Show-Ok Gallery-August 7th 2008

(me with Journey, acrylic collage on canvas, 18x24,2008.)

(me with my other paintings: Surf Till Sunset, oil on canvas, 30x40, 2008, Frayed, acrylic collage on canvas, 9x12, 2008, Dino, acrylic collage on canvas, 6x6, 2007.)

Last Thursday, during the 1st Thursday Artwalk in the Pioneer Square district in Seattle, I displayed some of my recent artwork! It was my first showing in Seattle. The show is a group show on display at Gallery OK till the end of the month. It is an old hotel, turned into Gallery. The opening was quite successful, from the number of attendees. I was happy to see people looking at my work and reading my artist statement. This exhibit was my first exhibit in which I showed some of my less-than-representational work. Lately my artwork has been taking more of a collage form in sketchbooks. I have been trying to transfer this sketchbook method onto canvas. The surf painting was inspired by my first ever surf experience. The other paintings are abstract narratives of my emotional train of thought.
I'd like to thank everyone who attended the opening and all of you who wished me luck. Thank you for supporting my artistic endeavors.



(Petra with my paintings.)

(artist statement)

Photography was the means by which I started making art. I view my experience with different media as a transition from the mechanical to the creative. Soon after I began developing my own prints, I became interested in drawing; it allowed me more freedom. Drawing led me to working with inks on paper. Quickly thereafter I began painting with acrylics and oil on canvas. Painting allows me to express myself in color and texture, which was not so easily done in my photography. I enjoy this medium because of its versatility and flexibility. It allows for revision and experimentation. This is currently the medium I use to make my art. Most of the subject matter used in my paintings is taken either directly or indirectly from photographs I have taken. In this most recent body of work, I have been using leftover materials, such as fabric, colored palette sheets and paper to collage onto the canvas. Recently I have consciously tried to use and reuse all supplies, sketches and drawings that I have. Collage lends itself fabulously to this method.

In January I moved to Seattle from Chicago. Both of these urban environments, as well as places I have traveled have greatly influenced my artwork. The act of painting allows me to use my emotions to make art and represent what is happening inside. I paint to relax and to concentrate on my thoughts. I believe that I am expresseing through my work, a portrait of myself.

-Brigid Blume, 2008

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Brigid, Congratulations on your 1st Seattle show! Paintings look great--I like the use of color, which is even evident in the photos. Keep painting... and banjo pickin' of course. ~john