07 February 2008

Rain, showers...what's the difference?

Since looking at the weather reports for Seattle, or Chicago for that matter, I have began to wonder what the difference is between rain and showers and who distinguishes this difference?



If you're wondering, it's what we're getting here in the Northwest. The beautiful moss, evergreens and grass are being drenched in water. It's so plentiful here. People freak out about driving in it though. It seems as though they would be acclimated to the rain, nope. Cars slow down. I turn on the 4 wheel drive to get up the hill on Denny way. If I don't, as the light turns green and I let off the brake, the car will begin to slide backwards and the tires will spin, a scary feeling.



After eating dinner, playing the banjo in the kitchen with the roomates, I decided that I wanted to go running. I went out and faced the elements, wind and rain. It's so much warmer than Chicago in February. I did about 2/3rds of my normal run, it felt great. Despite all the donuts I've been making and EATING, I feel as though my body is adjusting to running hills. Soon I will be able to carry me and my bike up those steep inclines.



I am in the middle of my second week of work with a new family. They are super sweet and friendly and treat me very well. It's really all I could've asked for.



Super bowl sunday, I spent at the aquarium, observing the river otters tackle each other in the water. It's much more amusing than watching muscle-pumped guys in tight pants tackle each other.

Bis Spaeter!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Brigid,

"Rain, showers... what's the difference?" reminds me of a friend who grew up in Oregon, lived for a while here in Chgo and then moved back to Washington, and now lives somewhere near Tacoma. His description of weather in the Pacific NW was that, "you can tell which season it is by the temperature of the rain falling on you."

I guess that's why folks in the PNW worship Gortex.

Bientôt, ~john