08 April 2008

The North Shore-25.03.08





I started the day out right by running down Waikiki to meet Maria and then run with her all the way to the Hilton Hawaiian Village. We met Tony briefly and then I ran back to our hotel alone.



Lucky me, I got to sit in the front seat for the entire drive to the North Shore, approximately an hour at the speed of 50 mph. I received a call from my former host brother in Germany. No one in the vehicle liked it that I was speaking in another language and no one knew what I was talking about even though I was extremely animated.


The North Shore felt less touristy than Waikiki right from the start.

We decided to have lunch before we hit the beach and found this AWESOME healthy food cafe. The burrito my mom ordered was so tasty. It was also gigantic so we all took turns eating from it, while listening to a Johnny Cash hour on the local radio station. Vacation couldn't get much better than that. Everyone in the cafe was super laid back and friendly. The ceiling had underwater/beach murals painted on it.


After lunch we went to Sunset Beach where plenty of dangerous breaker waves were crashing into shore. They were larger than at Sandies, probably 5-6feet. The professional surfers were out further catching the waves; it was so awesome to watch them. There was this one dude, he looked like he was from California; a blond surfer dude. He rode this entire wave all the way across and into shore, then effortlessly walked himself out of the water with his board. He made it seem so easy, but for us it was far from easy and we did not even attempt to bring any sort of board in the water. The waves were so powerful and dangerous with the current trying to drag us out. I tried sitting on the sand and letting the waves crash over me. It was amazing how the water could lift me from the ground and carry me about 4 feet. Sand filled every crevice of my swimsuit after that endeavor.

We decided to part ways after that beach; Mom, Tony, Pete and Mags went to Waimea beach and I decided to go to the Waimea Falls and wildlife park. The hike to the falls was not super intense with mud sliding and steep inclines, but it was extremely scenic and beautiful. The park was almost completely empty, so all the sounds I heard were coming from animals, mostly birds. Calming and peaceful. Happy to be in freshwater again and rinse all that sand from my body, I decided to situate myself underneath the pounding waterfall for ten minutes and just let it drench me. Because I was alone, I have no picture to prove this, but it was extremely refreshing.

No comments: