03 January 2008

Bouldering



02.01.08
Four days in Montana, the middle of nowhere capitol of the world, has taught me to seek excitement rather than waiting for it.
I drove my new vehicle to town today, to spend a while on the town library’s high speed internet. Libraries in small towns close for lunch breaks, isn't that nice? Fifteen minutes into the lunch break, I noticed that I was still on my computer, and the library was desolate. They had forgotten about me and gone to lunch. I can’t get over the fact that you don’t need to hide your wallet and lock your car every time you leave it. The lady at the gas station actually let me pump gas before even taking my credit card and the clerk at the IGA actually left her register to show me where something was located. Small towns amaze me.
Camille had to work today, so this afternoon I took her husky Elska on an adventure of our own. By suggestion, we drove to Ringing Rocks formation. After driving about 20 minutes on a dirt/rock/gravel access road, I began to wonder why people drive so far to see a pile of rocks. It was well worth the wait, as most good things are.
It was my first time “off-roading” with the explorer, my new vehicle. It does great on the rocks and gravel; I did not even have to go into 4 wheel drive. For all you SUV haters; they are actually quite practical out here. At some turns, and over some rocks, I doubted the capabilities of the vehicle, but Elska was calm sitting beside me, why should I be scared?

We didn’t quite make it to the summit, when I decided to park the car in a spot that I could easily turn around in and head back down the mountain. I turned the car off, leaving the windows down. Who would come all the way up this mountain to steal the vehicle?


A few feet away from the car began the red rock formation. Elska darted in the opposite direction, so began the small hike. At first I began to follow her, thinking that she would run away from me. Her clanging collar always seemed to be in earshot of me. Stepping over stones and dried plants, I made my way through evergreens and brush, to arrive at stunning views of the landscape in the distance. Breathtaking, I mean really, I was out of breath by the time I reached those heights. I felt like king of the world, as a lion must feel, when he is standing on the tip of a rock looking to the distance between him and the horizon. In moments like these, I stand in awe at the world God has given us. It was beautiful, picturesque and calming. For miles, I could not see buildings or people.

Not more than a half an hour after arriving, I did hear people’s voices in the distance. It was a group of five, including a little tike, who was interested in Elska, because she was a “doggy”. I was reassured that I had not done anything stupid, when I realized that they had also driven an explorer up the mountain.

On top of the mound of boulders, a man stood. After he came down, I asked him how he had gotten up. He said that the other side was covered with ice and snow, so he just faced this side, twisting his way up. If someone has made it to the top, I most certainly had to try. I called Elska, she wouldn’t set paw on to even the first boulder.




I decided to go alone. What an exhilarating experience. Every rock is shaped differently and laid differently. And between them are gigantic holes, which I’m glad I didn’t get stuck in. I was worried about something dropping out of my pockets. Luckily my camera strap was working. I didn’t know bouldering could be so much fun and such a great workout. Although I felt lightheaded at times, climbing rocks on all fours, made me feel more like my four legged friends. It’s a great feeling.

1 comment:

Vic said...

I have a special love for Montana and vicariously enjoyed your trip up the boulders. Now you know why they call it "Big Sky Country!"
xxooVicki